Sunday, March 13, 2011

FEDEXbot

I put more effort into this piece then I have on others lately. Ironically, having a baby to take care of, has freed up more time for this sort of thing. While she sleeps I work on "productive" stuff such as this. Prior to having her around, I would have gone out of the house and done something completely different :)

This drawing is about the way packages might come to your door someday. It probably wouldn't look anything like this, but I wanted to get the base idea out and have a fun picture to draw. With advances in automation such as UAVs and the Darpa Grand Challenge, perhaps we will have those swords beaten into plowshares for use in our neighborhoods.

Here this robot drives right up to the door step while pulling a package out of its back container. It might take 20 or so of these to replace one truck, but they would have other advantages like 24 hour service.

This was also the first time I feel like I made some personal progress in drawing up a contextual background. It's something that I usually struggle with, but I seek to sharpen this skill as I do more illustrations (I also need to work on drawing people).

No comments: